Symptoms: Windows 2003 hangs after booting and never reach the login screen.
Background: ACPI stands for Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. It is an open standard that defines platform for hardware discovery, configuration, power management and monitoring.
Possible Cause and Resolution
- Cause: CMOS Battery is Dying
Resolution: Goto CMOS setup, scroll to POWER MANAGEMENT SETUP, hit Enter, look at it, Hit ESC to exit, Anwser Y to save.
- Cause: RAID Problem
- Turn off the server.
- Unplug one of the hard disk in your RAID.
- Boot the server. The RAID status now should change to degraded
- You should now be able to see the login screen.
- Login, do the necessary backup
- Plugin the hard disk, rebuild the RAID array with its software
I stopped my search as the solution no 2 solved my problem 🙂 I am still not clear with the exact cause, but I suspect that the RAID controller was having problem synchronizing between hard disks (my server is using RAID-1).